There’s no great secret to eating healthy. To help your family develop healthy eating habits, simply:
- Provide plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products.
- Include low-fat or non-fat milk or dairy products.
- Choose lean meats, poultry, fish, lentils, and beans for protein.
- Serve reasonably sized portions.
- Encourage your family to drink lots of water.
- Limit sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Limit consumption of sugar and saturated fat.
Making small changes is a recipe for success!
- Look for ways to make favorite family dishes healthier.
- Do allow your kids to enjoy sugary or salty snack sometimes, as treats!
It’s also important to reduce sedentary time and help your kids stay active. Kids should participate in at least 60 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity most days of the week, preferably daily. Here are some moderate intensity physical activities you can do together:
- Brisk walking
- Playing tag
- Jumping rope
- Riding bikes
- Doing yoga
Adapted from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention